Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One Man's Trash...

Anyone that knows me (and that just happens to be all 3 of my readers) knows that I'm really into saving money.  Like ridiculous-level of saving, and have once or twice in my life been called cheap.  Oh the shame!  I like to call myself frugal instead of cheap, maybe a bit of a tightwad, but really just always wanting to get the most for my money.  Nothing wrong with that right, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?!?!  Whatever.

Well, after some inspiration from my extremely talented sister-in-law, and following all her DIY projects from thrift store finds, I decided to try my hand out at some furniture redo's as well.  My grandmother (Meme, she's hilarious) and I tried our luck at the local Good Will store.  We walked in, and within two minutes I found two pieces I thought I could give a little TLC and elbow grease...you know, really make it something of my own!  I bought a beautiful console table (the long thin tables that go behind a couch) and a TV stand.  And at those prices...I thought if I screw it up and hate it, I'll just donate it back to Good Will.  I bought and left the store with the pieces like I stole 'em! 

Now I originally had every intention of re-finishing each piece with some sanding and fresh paint.  But not only am I extremely cheap, I'm also extremely LAZY.  I'm such a catch, my husband is soooo lucky isn't he?!?  So, instead of painting the pieces, I cleaned them with Murphy's oil soap, polished 'em up, and just started using them.  I thought, instead of making a huge mess and painting only two pieces, I should just collect several new items and paint it all at once!  Brilliant!!  And now enter my new addiction...frequent visits to the thrift store.  But let's start by showing off my AMAZING console table:




































Please cue your oooohs and ahhhs now.  Not bad, eh??  So yeah, it could use some paint...but once again, that will be awhile.  But after finding such an adorable piece of furniture, how could I not want to return to find some more trash/treasure?  And that's exactly what I've done...I've gone back time and time again, I'm in there more than most Mexicans.  Sorry, that was racist...but true.  While I haven't been lucky in finding anymore awesome pieces of furniture, or furniture that I think is "worthy" of my castle, I have been able to find a few other amazing items.  And by a few, I mean I have a serious f'ing problem with buying random shit that I think deserves a new home.  It started with a porcelain Santa that was JUST LIKE the one my mom has.  From there I bought a whole bag of ornaments, then some awesome baskets (who doesn't need random ass baskets?!?!), and some random fake wooden fruit!  But I wanted to share some of my favorites that I've found in just the past two weeks...and at this rate, not only will our house be filled with random "treasures" but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to learn to go on a budget.  Oh boy...

So I know I mentioned I bought fake fruit, but that wasn't the exact fake fruit-look I was going for, and well, neither is this...but it's closer!


And no, no, no, we don't just stop at a giant glass vase of fake pears...I also bought a stupid picture of peaches, PEACHES just because it only cost me $1.50!!  It doesn't even really go with anything in my house, but I hung it anyway (my husband was thrilled).  I'm sure it will be tossed soon, but I'm enjoying the arguments it causes with Jrock...thrilling!!


And why stop there?  Oh hell no ladies, I can't leave all these sweet treasures on the shelves...am I the only one that's seen Toy Story?  Who's to say other items don't have feelings too?  Like those random balls (yes, balls) that people use to decorate with...you know THESE


It was imperative I take the picture outside just to show off their true beauty.  And I arranged them in a random metal thing I found in my house (no, I have no idea what I even actually own...most hoarders don't)
And for the mother-load...

Awww yeah, that's a fake lemon tree.  I have no idea where I'm going to place the stupid thing, but I seriously HAD TO HAVE IT.  Just like the ornaments, and the Santa, and all the other crap I keep buying.  And the best part, is sharing all these awesome finds with Jrock when he gets home Fridays...it makes his heart happy.  Okay, I'm lying...but it makes my heart happy to see the strange look on his face when he sees the random crap that I buy.  But hey, one man's trash is this broad's treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment